Giant dogs (large breed dogs)
In a giant dog breed, the dog weighs more than 45 kg and has gigantic proportions. Some of the big dog breeds are Great Dane, St. Bernard, English mastiff, Bullmastiff, Rottweiler Great Dane, Cane Corso, and many more. large dogs breed tend to have more health problems than smaller dogs. Irrespective of the size, every pet should be kept healthy and fit. So, here are some ways to keep your large breed dogs healthy.
How to care for large breed dogs
- Improper diet can bring health issues to dogs. Giant dogs can develop joint and bone problems in the later stage of their life. So, a well-balanced diet can prevent this kind of health issue in their body.
- The diet of your large dogs must contain high-quality animal-based protein for muscle growth, repair, and tone. It should have enough carbohydrates to maintain its blood sugar level. And, omega 3 and 6 for a healthy and shiny coat.
- It should have essential minerals, vitamins, and Glucosamine to support a healthy and mobile immune system. It should have less fat so that the joint stress is minimized and optimal body type is maintained.
- Make sure to serve the food with large kibble chunks in order to avoid the inhaling of food.
- Bloat is a disease in which the stomach of the dog is distended by excessive gas content. Bloating can cause your dog to have problems in breathing, anxiety, a hard abdomen, and heavy panting. There are some ways to prevent the chances of bloating.
- Make sure you add water to the kibble and feed your dog 2-3 equal meals in a day from the raised food bowl. Prevent access to water for at least an hour after the meal and allow the food to settle for an hour before exercise.
Exercise of large dogs
- Exercise is a must for your dog to keep him happy. But, avoid exercising and jumping on hard surfaces before the age of 2 as his body is developing and these activities might disrupt his vital growth process.
- The amount of exercise your dog needs depends on its breed. On a daily basis, 30 to 50 minutes of walking and socializing with others can satisfy your dog’s needs.
- Try to participate with your dog in his exercises and find some activities you both love together. For instance, you can let your dog run while you ride your cycle. This will not only make your dog healthy but strengthen your bond with him too.
- Try both indoor and outdoor games with your big dog likes playing fetch, running up the stairs with your dog, hide and seek etc.
- Make sure that you provide your dog with some toys to play with. Hard rubber toys, rope toys, balls, stuffed toys are some of the toys they can entertain themselves with while you’re away.
Some health issues of Giant dogs
Giant dog breeds are prone to some health-related problems. Every dog has their own inherent set of traits that can affect its life span, health-related issues, and vulnerability.
- Hip Dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip socket and is a painful skeleton condition in giant dog breeds. And, it is not always preventable, but there are some ways to delay the onset.
- Make sure that your dog maintains healthy body weight and gets plenty of exercises because it will strengthen the joints, muscles, and tendons and will keep the extra weight off the vulnerable joints.
- Aortic Stenosis (AS) is typically caused by a ring of fibrotic tissue in the subaortic region, it is a common congenital disease in giant dogs. It is a condition that occurs when the blockage causes the aorta to narrow.
- Hypothyroidism is a disease that occurs when the thyroid gland does not function properly. It can cause lethargy, skin problems, hair loss, and weight gain.
- Beta-blockers can be used to treat severe cases of Aortic Stenosis, it can slow the heart rate to allow it to work properly. Exercise is restricted, especially in severe cases.
- The drug called levothyroxine is given to dogs suffering from Hypothyroidism. Doses are specific to each dog and they may have to take the dose daily for the rest of their life. It should be treated or your dog’s life quality will be affected.
Grooming big dog
Grooming is very important to keep your dog handsome, glowing, and healthy. Regular brushing is a must to maintain the marvelous fur of your dog.
Always brush your dog before bathing him. Depending on the size of your giant dog, it is preferable that you wash your outside. You can bathe your dog once a month unless they seem very dirty and smelly. Avoid over-bathing as this can make the dog’s coat dry and may lose its shine.
Nail trimming is a must to avoid foot and toes damage in your dog. Giant dogs need special clippers to maintain their large nails.
Make sure that you take your dog to the vet every now and then so that he is healthy throughout.
10 pets that are apartment friendly. How to care for a Samoyed dog. All about the cockatoo’s lifestyle. Siamese cat grooming. How to care for a Dalmatian dog. 10 most aggressive dogs. Persian cat breed information.